Department of Teacher Education
The Teacher Education Programs offer students:
- An exciting and dynamic experience.
- The opportunity to gain critical pedagogical knowledge and skills in a collaborative academic setting.
- Preparation to teach in their specific disciplines with solid understanding of the principles of effective teaching.
- Stimulating academic programs.
- A close relationship with area school districts that provide students with practical hands-on experiences.
The Teacher Education Programs:
- Are designed with each individual student in mind.
- Promote close faculty-student relationships that often continue beyond graduation.
- Have a long and distinguished tradition of preparing teachers in programs approved by the New York State Education Department
Successful completion of both our undergraduate and graduate teacher education programs qualifies students for certification in New York State, and most other states.
Student Teaching is the culminating experience of Teacher Education programs leading to initial certification. Upon completion of all requirements and coursework, students apply for Student Teaching and are placed in area school districts for a full semester (14 weeks).
During this hands-on experience, student teachers learn to gradually assume the full classroom duties of their host teacher. This is a unique time to implement and hone teaching methods under direct supervision by the host teacher and a college supervisor.
In addition to Student Teaching, students attend a weekly Seminar class for additional support in lesson plan development and meeting the current NYS Education Department requirements for certification.
Student Teaching Testimonies
Alyssa Kent (Class of '14)
"My experience at Roberts, especially during student teaching, were experiences I would never forget. The support from two very influential teachers and the information they gave me access to has directly impacted my teaching now. During this experience I was able to interact with the children, teach lessons, gather, make, and use resources and most of all still receive the same support from the wonderful Roberts Teacher Education professors along the way. My student teaching experiences at Roberts helped me become the teacher I am today, and I am forever grateful for both of these experiences."
We hope that becoming an educator will be the right choice for you, and that Roberts Wesleyan College will be the right place to begin your journey.